Information About Hum Law Firm: Canadian Employment Law Blog
Below is a preview of the five most recent posts from the blog Hum Law Firm: Canadian Employment Law Blog. To read these posts in their entirely or subscribe to future updates from this blog, please visit their website!
- Supreme Court Upholds Waksdale Decision Invalidating Employment Agreements in Ontario
Ontario Employers should revisit all employment contracts or risk costly legal settlements. Less than a year ago, in June 2020, employers were left shaken by the ground-breaking Ontario Court of Appeal decision in Waksdale v. Swegon North America Inc. (“Waksdale”). Waksdale held the entire termina … Read more »
- Ontario extends suspension of COVID-19 layoff clock and constructive dismissal rules come in time for the provincewide shutdown
With the announcement of another provincewide shutdown, businesses have access to some relief. The Ontario government has once again extended protections as many employers are forced to reduce hours of work temporarily. The goal is to prevent temporary layoffs of non-unionized employees from automat … Read more »
- COVID-19 Regulations are Changing for Employers in Ontario: Are You Compliant with Section 22 of the HPPA?
Orders under Section 22 of the Health Protection and Promotion Act, RSO 1990, c H.7 (“HPPA”) have started sweeping across the Greater Toronto Area and elsewhere in Ontario, obliging compliance with stringent measures to contain the spread of COVID -19. Section 22 of the HPPA allows Medical Officers … Read more »
- Practical tips: What employers should do to comply with “public health guidance” during COVID-19
On October 20, 2020, the Ontario provincial government announced new legislation entitled “Supporting Ontario’s Recovery and Municipal Elections Act 2020”, also known as Bill 218. Many employers concerned about the risks of operating in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic will be relieved that Bill 2 … Read more »
- Uber & Lyft: The Hidden Business Risks of the Gig Economy during COVID-19
Due to ongoing pandemic-related uncertainty and what seems like daily regulatory changes, many organizations are shifting to non-traditional workplace structures. Employees are working from home, technology has become a cornerstone to keep teams connected, and businesses are frequently choosing to h … Read more »