Information About Canadian Charity Law
- How engaged are Canadian registered charities in this election?
I was asked the question “How engaged are Canadian registered charities in this election?” by a journalist and to be honest, I had to say I have no idea. There seems to be a big disconnect between the words spoken by charities about the importance of being engaged in the political process and the a … Read more »
- Notice from Service Ontario about filings under OCA as ONCA is being launched
We received a notice from Service Ontario relating to filings prior to ONCA coming into force on October 19, 2021. Essentially any filings done by mail under the OCA need to be completed by September 17, 2021 even though ONCA is only coming in a month later. If they are not filed by September 17 … Read more »
- Update for Online Filings with Corporations Canada under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (“CNCA”)
Corporations Canada recently announced that they have taken 2 additional security measures to ensure the accuracy of the information about federal corporations made available to the public. This will impact especially intermediaries such as lawyers and accountants when filing on their client’s beha … Read more »
- ACCS submission to Finance on the DQ suggesting no change to the rate is disappointing for operating charities
At a time when charities need funds and private foundations alone are sitting on $95 billion dollars, the Advisory Committee to the Charitable Sector (ACCS) has prepared a submission to Finance Canada stating that the disbursement quota (DQ) issue is complicated and not recommending any increase to … Read more »
- Which Canadian charities issued the most official donation receipts in 2019?
We reviewed the Canadian registered charities that identified they issued official donation receipts and the total amount of donation receipts issued was approximately $19.6 billion. Here is a list of the Canadian charities that issued the largest amount of official donation receipts in 2019. Here … Read more »