Information About Restructuring Roundup
- 2020 Year in Review: Highlights in Canadian Restructuring Law
- Sigh of Relief for Commercial Landlords: Letters of Credit Unaffected by a Tenant’s Bankruptcy
- Warm Reception for Foreign Freezing Orders under the BIA
- Is a tenant bound to pay rent for the period during the restructuring for which it cannot use the premises as a result of a COVID-19 lockdown order?
In the matter of the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act of North American retailer Groupe Dynamite, Justice Kalichman of the Superior Court of Québec rendered a judgment on the obligation of a debtor to pay post-filing rent in a context where it cannot use leased premises as a result of COVID-19 g … Read more »
- Set-off and claims that may not be compromised by a CCAA plan of arrangement
In the matter of the CCAA of the S.M. Group, the Québec Court of Appeal rendered a ruling on the effect of the law of set-off on debts arising out of alleged fraud and the application of the same Court’s ruling in Kitco to this type of debts. The Court held that the rule prohibiting a creditor from … Read more »