Information About McCarthy Tétrault Employer Advisor
Below is a preview of the five most recent posts from the blog McCarthy Tétrault Employer Advisor. To read these posts in their entirely or subscribe to future updates from this blog, please visit their website!
- LaFleche v. NLFD Auto: Managing employee’s return to work is employer’s responsibility
The recent decision of LaFleche v. NLFD Auto dba Prince George Ford (No. 2), 2022 BCHRT 88, highlights the careful approach that employers should take when employees are returning to work after a leave of absence. Read more »
- Attention Federally-Regulated Employers: Paid Sick Leave Coming Soon
Federal Bill C-19, Budget Implementation Act, 2022, No. 1 received Royal Assent on June 23, 2022. Bill C-19 includes important amendments to the Canada Labour Code that will result in increased leave costs for many federally regulated employers. Read more »
- Employee or independent contractor? BC’s Court of Appeal reminds employers that employment relationships are determined based on a fact-specific, contextual approach
Employee or independent contractor? BC’s Court of Appeal reminds employers that employment relationships are determined based on a fact-specific, contextual approach. Read more »
- Superior force and COVID-19: Employers are not relieved of their obligation to provide a reasonable notice of termination despite the loss of millions of dollars
- Is There Currently a Pro-Union Movement in Canada?
There has been an increase in strike activity and a perceptible uptick in unionization organizing efforts across industry sectors in Canada. Will the pattern be short-lived or is it part of longer-term labour growth? Time will tell, however, there is little doubt that the growing economic uncertaint … Read more »