Information About The Employer’s Edge
- IT’S HIGH TIME THEY WENT (AWAY): UNIFOR DROPS LEGAL CHALLENGE TO SUNCOR’S RANDOM DRUG TESTING
As you no doubt noticed on our Twitter feed last week, in a few short weeks Suncor Energy will begin random drug testing of employees at its various sites in and around Fort McMurray, Alberta. This comes almost 7 years after Suncor first tried to introduce a random drug testing policy for safety-se … Read more »
- Frustration is not Just Cause for Termination under the Canada Labour Code
As you may know, federal employers require just cause to terminate non-union and non-management employees. Recently in Lewis v Whiteline Trucking Ltd, an arbitrator under the Canada Labour Code considered a complaint by a transport driver seeking pay in lieu of notice and severance pay after he was … Read more »
- Asking for the Check: New Rules as of November 1, 2018
In March 2016 CCP brought to your attention the Police Record Checks Reform Act. This Act was new legislation designed to standardize the process by which police record checks are requested, conducted and obtained in Ontario. The Act received Royal Assent in December 2015 but only came into force on … Read more »
- The Tree may not be the only thing “Lit” this Holiday-Season- Navigating the Company Holiday Party in the Era of “Me-Too” and Legalized Marijuana.
Hosting a holiday party is a great way to thank your employees for their hard work and to celebrate your company’s successes in the last year. However, if a holiday party gets out of control or is not reflective of your workforce’s ethnic/cultural diversity it can create unforeseen liabilities, par … Read more »
- Get Outta Here! Ontario Court Confirms it has no Jurisdiction over Dispute arising from Collective Agreement
A decision from the Ontario Superior Court of Justice confirmed a long-standing legal principle that is at the foundation of labour law: the courts have no jurisdiction to hear cases arising from a collective agreement. In De Montigny v. Roy et al the Plaintiff sued her former co-workers for defamat … Read more »
We're having trouble retrieving the latest posts for this blog - please visit the blog directly to see what's new.