Information About The Employer’s Edge
- Court Enforces Without Cause Termination Provision Where Employment Agreement Also Contained An Invalid Termination For Cause Provision
CCPartners has blogged on a number of court decisions that address the enforceability of termination clauses, particularly those that seek to limit an employee’s entitlements to the minimums under the Employment Standards Act, 2000 (“ESA”). The recent Ontario Superior Court decision in Waksdale v. … Read more »
- Are you Ready For It? WSIB New Rate Framework will apply beginning January 1, 2020
Change is coming for Schedule 1 Employers who are insured under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act. The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (“WSIB”) will implement the New Rate Framework effective January 1, 2020. The WSIB has been in communication with employers about where they will be placed … Read more »
- MORNINGSTAR LIGHTS THE WAY-WSIAT Rules No Right to Sue Employer for Constructive Dismissal Related to Workplace Harassment!
A landmark decision of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal (WSIAT), Decision No. 1227/19, has taken away Judith Morningstar’s right to sue her employer for constructive dismissal related to workplace harassment. This decision was preceded by a ruling of the Human Rights Tribunal of … Read more »
- “Freeze”. It describes not just this week’s weather, but also what’s happening to public sector salaries under Bill 124.
In June 2019 the Employers’ Edge Blog examined Ontario Bill 124, the Protecting a Sustainable Public Sector for Future Generations Act, 2019 after the Bill’s first reading. You can review that blog, here. After passing second and third readings, the Bill has received royal assent and passed into la … Read more »
- DEALING WITH LONG-TERM ABSENCES: YOU MAY BE FED UP AS THE EMPLOYER, BUT THAT MIGHT NOT BE THE ONLY THING FRUSTRATED
You may recall or already know that the doctrine of frustration of contract exists, and intersects with an employer’s duty to accommodate – where an employee has been absent from the workplace for a substantial period of time there may come a point where there is no reasonable or foreseeable prosp … Read more »