Information About Labour Pains
- Do You Have a Second to Talk About Secondments?
What is the effect of the termination of a secondment agreement if an employee expressly remains an employee of his original employer? In Nader v. University Health Network, 2022 ONSC 447 (CanLII), the dismissed employee attempted to argue that the effect of the termination of both his secondment ag … Read more »
- Employees Cannot Waive Right to Compensation for Workplace Injury
Can a worker waive his right to compensation for a workplace injury? In Fleming v. Massey, 2016 ONCA 70, the Court of Appeal for Ontario held that based on the wording of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 16, Sch. A, the purpose for which workers compensation laws were crea … Read more »
- Court of Appeal Confirms Public School Teachers are Protected from Unreasonable Search and Seizure by Section 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
Are public school teachers protected from unreasonable search and seizure by section 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms if the search and seizure is performed in the workplace by their employers? As stated by the Court of Appeal for Ontario in the case of Elementary Teachers Federation … Read more »
- Court of Appeal Recognizes that Employees Terminated “For Cause” May Still Be Entitled to Statutory Termination Benefits
The law concerning the rights and responsibilities of Ontario’s employers to dismiss an employee “for cause” , and the rights of employee to nonetheless receive statutory termination pay and severance pay in event of a termination “for cause” finally received such much-needed clarity in the Court of … Read more »
- How Much Time Do You Have to Sue for Unpaid Overtime?
The question of how much time one has within which to start a civil claim for unpaid wages, including unpaid overtime is actually more complicated than it sounds. In Fresco v. Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, 2022 ONCA 115 (CanLII), the Court of Appeal for Ontario refused to allow an employer’s a … Read more »