Information About Canadian Class Actions Monitor
"Canadian Class Actions Monitor provides McCarthy Tetrault's views on class actions across Canada in sectors including securities, financial services, product liability, competition, healthcare and other areas of business. It also comments on the impact of class actions on Canadian businesses and the legal landscape, and shares our insights on specific class actions in Canada, related developments and cross-border influences."
Below is a preview of the five most recent posts from the blog Canadian Class Actions Monitor. To read these posts in their entirely or subscribe to future updates from this blog, please visit their website!
- Douez v Facebook gives existing class actions green light to grow under new opt-out rules
In a previous post we unpacked last year’s amendments to BC’s Class Proceedings Act, and discussed the consequences of switching from an “opt-in” regime for non-residents Read more »
- The Quebec Court of Appeal Renders a Landmark Decision Regarding Prescription Drug Manufacturers’ Duty to Warn
In a judgment rendered on May 8, 2019, the Quebec Court of Appeal upheld a Superior Court decision dismissing a class action in which the plaintiffs alleged that a Read more »
- Dismissal of a certification application on the merits prevents certification for settlement
When a proposed class action is settled before certification, the parties often apply to certify the action for the purpose of settlement. Read more »
- Judicial Comity in National Class Action Settlement Approval – Judicial Efficiency is no Laughing Matter
In a decision of the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench issued March 18, 2019 (Macaronies Hair Club and Laser Centre Inc. v. BofA Canada Bank, 2019 ABQB 181, Read more »
- Common Issues in Environmental Class Actions
Earlier this year, we wrote about the arrival of climate change class actions in Canada. Last week, the BC Court of Appeal highlighted the difficulty of establishing Read more »
We're having trouble retrieving the latest posts for this blog - please visit the blog directly to see what's new.