Information About Canadian Class Actions Monitor
"Canadian Class Actions Monitor provides McCarthy Tetrault's views on class actions across Canada in sectors including securities, financial services, product liability, competition, healthcare and other areas of business. It also comments on the impact of class actions on Canadian businesses and the legal landscape, and shares our insights on specific class actions in Canada, related developments and cross-border influences."
Below is a preview of the five most recent posts from the blog Canadian Class Actions Monitor. To read these posts in their entirely or subscribe to future updates from this blog, please visit their website!
- Quebec Superior Court Refuses to Authorize Class Action for the Charging of Vehicle Lease Transfer Fees
On February 7, 2020, The Quebec Superior Court in Benjamin v. Crédit VW Canada Inc. et al, 2020 QCCS 392. dismissed an application to authorize a class action… Read more »
- Must-Have New Edition of Defending Class Actions in Canada: A Guide for Defendants
Continuing to help organizations successfully navigate class action lawsuits, McCarthy Tétrault is pleased to announce the release of the fifth edition of its book… Read more »
- Clarifying the Scope of Examination for Discovery of a Representative Plaintiff: Questions about the Plaintiff’s Individual Action are Permitted
In the recent decision of Lipson v Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP, 2019 ONSC 5524, Justice Perell provided clarity as to the rules and guidelines that govern… Read more »
- Ontario’s Attorney General proposes significant changes to the Class Proceedings Act
Ontario’s Attorney General has proposed significant changes to the Class Proceedings Act, 1992 (the “CPA”): https://www.ola.org/sites/default/files/node-files/bill/ Read more »
- Turning the Common into the Uncommon: Supreme Court of BC Refuses Certification for Breach of Modified Standard Form Contracts
One of the most important issues in a class action certification proceeding is determining which issues are common to the class. Read more »